Your smile always lights up a room. You get compliments on your grin all the time, and you take good care of your teeth – that’s why you were surprised when you ended up losing one. You want to fill in the blank spot, but dentures, bridges, and partials aren’t for you. You’re wondering if you’re a good candidate for dental implants in Westminster, and luckily for you, the team at Sage Dental Care can tell you if you are. In this post, find out more about this superior replacement method and if these are the solution for you.
What Are Dental Implants?
As the most respected dentist in Westminster, our team explains that dental implants consist of three pieces:
- Implant – The implant itself is a biocompatible titanium post that will be surgically placed in your jaw. This will become the secure foundation for the rest of your replacement tooth. You’ll have oral surgery as the first step in the process, and you’ll need about 3-6 months for the post to fuse with your jaw in a process called osseointegration. At that point, the other pieces can be added.
- Abutment – This is the connecting piece between the implant and- the tooth-shaped “cap.” Once the implant is strong enough, the abutment will then be affixed to the post.
- Crown – This is the part of the replacement that looks like the tooth. The long-lasting, natural-looking porcelain dental crown will be secured to the abutment after that part is added, restoring your smile to its former glory.
Am I A Good Candidate For Dental Implants?
At our practice, we always provide customized treatment plans to address specific dental health needs. If you match the criteria below, you could be the ideal candidate for dental implants. For this method to work best, you should have:
- Healthy gums
- A commitment to maintaining oral health at home
- Sufficient jawbone density
- Patience and an understanding that dental implants are a process
Why Wouldn’t Dental Implants Be Right For Me?
If you have any of the following circumstances, dental implants might not be the best course of treatment for you if:
- You have uncontrolled diabetes or autoimmune disorders that prevent you from healing
- You are a smoker and are not willing to quit for the 6 months it takes for the implant process.
- You have insufficient bone tissue and cannot undergo bone grafting procedures.
Now that you know what dental implants are and if you’re a good candidate for this premier solution, schedule your appointment with Sage Dental Care today and get your winning smile back!